December 19, 2012

Alexis Rockman


I was first introduced to Alexis Rockman’s work by a professor of mine while I was working on my Amphibian Decline Series. I was inspired by the similarities between Rockman’s work and the art that I was working on. At the time I had been working on Disease and I was thrilled to find creatures with extra appendages (also see Brandon Ballengee), and microscopic imagery in Rockman’s work. Rockman often focuses on themes related to the environment including climate change, genetic modification, and the earth after humans.

Rockman (1962-present) lives and works in New York City.  He attended the School of Visual Arts in NYC and the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, RI. His realism and vibrant colors make his apocalyptic and nuclear scenes all the more eerie.  Whether you think Rockman’s paintings are disgusting, scary, of funny I think we can all agree on their bold strength.

http://www.alexisrockman.net/


 

From South: Untitled (Antarctica 4), 2008, watercolor on paper, 13.75 x 17.75 in.
 
 

From Half-Life: Gerbera Daisy, 2007, oil on wood, 56 x 44 in.
 
 



From America Icons: Manifest Destiny, 2004, oil on wood, 96 x 288 in.
 
 
 

From Wonderful World: The Farm, 2000, oil & acrylic on wood panel, 96 x 120 in.
 

From Future Evolution: Central Park, 1997-98, oil and acrylic on two wood panels, 48 x 80 in.
 
From Watercolors: Untitled, 1991, watercolor and ink on paper, 14 x 20 in.